Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Could you be a mad traveller?


The_Red_Quest


"My husband recommended THE RED QUEST because he knows that I am fascinated with Soviet history. Great Job Jason! This is a very smart book. I love the way his record blends in interesting historical facts, pictures, and unique first hand accounts of the marvelous places he visited. Many times I found myself laughing: especially about the story where the builders of the church spire smashed a glass so that each shard would represent how many years the building would last, but they weren't happy when it only broke into two! Of course this part of the world is also peppered with oppression and violence which date back hundreds of years. Jason Smart's THE RED QUEST does a 10/10 job at capturing his travels with wit, humor, intelligence and facts! Please travel more so we can read another one! MUST READ!" ~ Review by Marlene - Highly Recommended

Blurb about book! (by Jason Smart)

The Red Quest is the true story of one man's mission to visit every country of the former Soviet Union.

Along the way the author:

· samples fermented mare's milk in Kazakhstan
· gets chased by hounds in Kiev
· is detained by the police in Kyrgyzstan
· travels through a snow blizzard between Armenia and Georgia
· and gets mugged by a pensioner in Tajikistan

Oh, and he also takes a side trip to a genuine breakaway state where he is almost beaten up in a border hut. All in the name of The Red Quest!

Join Jason Smart as he travels along the Red Quest through Latvia, Estonia, Slovakia, Lithuania, Hungary, Russia, Romania, Moldova. Ukraine, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Poland, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Belarus and East Germany!

The Red Quest:Travels through 22 Former Soviet Republics
is available on Amazon!

US     UK     Canada

Meet The Author!

Jason Smart



In real life I'm a 41-year-old teacher. But in my spare time I am a mad traveller. I've always been intrigued by the countries of the former Soviet Union and starting with a wintry trip to Riga, Latvia, I decided to visit as many as I could. Little did I realise that this quest would see my traversing half the planet and spending nearly all my cash reserves.
read more on Jason Smart’s website

 

 

Excerpt – Prologue - . (Kindle Locations 59-74)

“Zis your first time in Russia?” asked the woman behind border control at Moscow’s Domodedovo Airport. She seemed grimly official and looked like she had not smiled since 1989. I nodded and passed my passport through the narrow gap. The thin-lipped security officer took it without comment, scrutinising my visa and immigration card as if expecting to find microfilm. Eventually she looked up and studied my face. I kept it as neutral as possible. Looking cheerful was not the correct protocol at passport control in Russia - it was a sign of something to hide.

“I vill ask again. Is zis first time in Russia?”

Under the woman's steely gaze I cracked. My mouth formed into a nervous smile. “Yes… and it's hot.”

I was referring to the heat wave. It was thirty-nine degrees Celsius in the shade. Reports of drunken vagabonds cooling themselves in the city’s fountains were beginning to hit the British press because some had drowned.

The customs official didn't understand. Her eyes narrowed a fraction. “Hot? What you mean... hot…?”

Around me, my fellow passengers averted their eyes. Swallowing hard, I gripped the metal bar in front of me to steady myself. “The weather is hot...” I stammered. “Moscow is hot.”

Time stood still. The woman stared without blinking. Finally she spoke. “Yes, I think I see... Moscow is hot.” She stamped my passport and ushered me through. I had infiltrated Russia, but it had been a close shave.

The Red Quest:Travels through 22 Former Soviet Republics
is available on Amazon!

US     UK     Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment