Monday, January 20, 2014

I Am Still a Woman: My Journey

iamstillawoman
"Life is too precious to let a disease win. You have to battle it as you battle any other event trying to overpower you: with love."~ Author Nina-Ann McCurley
Prologue - (I Am Still a Woman: My Journey (Kindle Locations 81-89)

At twenty-four, I was given eight weeks to live. I was diagnosed with gestational trophoblastic disease. After intense chemotherapy, I was given a clean bill of health. I had three beautiful sons and a wonderful life.

At forty-three, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and the surgeon said to have a single mastectomy , as cancer was present in one breast. However, suspecting I had a cancer gene, as my mother and every other firstborn of my mother’s family of the past six generations had died of cancer, I decided that I would take the most aggressive life- saving decision: a double mastectomy, hysterectomy, and oophorectomy. As a mother of three boys in their teens, I felt I had no choice.

This is the story of my journey, my love of family, friends, and life. It is my wish that other women will look at breast cancer as an obstacle to life and not a death sentence, and to remember always we are still a woman no matter what!
"I know my journey has made a difference to my family and friends. Now I want to reach out to others who are facing the same terrible journey. I want to tell my story and inspire those women who are standing on the brink of their own battle with cancer."
I am Still a Woman: My Journey is available from the publisher - Balboa Press & Amazon.

Note from Seann: I would imagine it took great courage for Nina to share her story. As well it would be healing for her to express everything she went through. I think the first quote I posted here is quite powerful. She conquered cancer with love. That seems to be a reoccurring theme that I am seeing lately. Check out Nina-Ann's website to follow her blog and learn more about her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment